University of Edinburgh 2021/2022 MasterCard Foundation Scholarships for African Students: The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme supports the brightest and best African scholars with great potential but few educational opportunities. Through the generous support of the Foundation, Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program provides young people who have demonstrated academic talent with access to quality education. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a growing initiative and to date, the Program has committed over $700 million to support the education and leadership development of over 30,000 young people. Throughout a network of partners, the Scholars Program ensures that students whose academic talent and promise exceed their financial resources are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to become the next generation of ethical leaders.
Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
The University of Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme will provide 80 undergraduate and 120 postgraduate African students with full scholarships over the next seven years.
Value of Scholarship: The scholarship will provide full scholarships, including accommodation costs, living costs, travel, and tuition fees to students taking courses on campus at Edinburgh. 60 Scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will also benefit from participating in several online distance learning Masters programs offered by the University of Edinburgh.
Postgraduate masters Scholars will:
- Complete six courses followed by the production of a dissertation;
- Participate in a retreat designed to nurture leadership skills;
- Attend a short Summer School; and
- Undertake an internship that will include reflective learning.
Online distance Masters Scholars will:
- Undertake a range of online distance Masters degrees which will be available to 60 Scholars from Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions (Applications for 2021 entry will open in early 2021).
Eligibility Criteria For University of Edinburgh 2021/2022 MasterCard Foundation Scholarships for African Students:
- Applicants must have graduated no later than September 2020
- Applicants must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. Applicants currently residing outside of this region for education reasons only can still apply
- Applicants must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within their community
- Applicants can present economic circumstances which show they lack financial means to pursue higher education in their home country or elsewhere
- Applicants must want to study one of the eligible degree programs at the University of Edinburgh
- Applicants must qualify academically for admission to the degree program of their choice
- Applicants should not have completed a postgraduate degree previously and should not be enrolled at a separate university while on scholarship.
The scholarship is not available to students already on the program.
The scholarship may be terminated at any time when an unsatisfactory progress report is received from the School or if the scholarship holder ceases to be registered as a full-time student at the University of Edinburgh.
- The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly based on academic merit. Applicants’ financial, personal, and family circumstances will also be taken into account.
- Applicants must also be committed to returning to Africa following their graduation to give back to their home community and country.
Number of Awardees: 21
Application Deadline: 30th October 2020 at 2 pm UK time.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries (We are particularly interested to consider applications from individuals who have faced barriers to education through disability or forced migration. We also particularly invite applications from nationals of Malawi, Ethiopia, Mauritius, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe).
To be taken at (country): Scotland, UK
Eligible Field of Study: Scholarships are available for the following postgraduate programs:
- MSc Africa and International Development
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Global Health Policy
- MA Design for Change
- MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
- MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- MSc Finance, Technology, and Policy
- MSc Food Security
- MSc Design Informatics
Duration of Scholarship: Complete the duration of any program.
How to Apply For University of Edinburgh 2021/2022 MasterCard Foundation Scholarships for African Students:
All applicants must apply for the scholarship first through our online application form and, if successful, will be assisted in the process of applying for admission to the University.
It is important to go through application instructions on the Scholarship Webpage (See Link below) before applying.
Disclaimer: All Content, Logo, and Company names are registered trademarks of their respective holders. The use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.