University of Cape Town Mastercard Scholarship Programme for African Students 2020/2021: The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The vision of the Program is to transition promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Sub-Saharan Africa.
In 2017 42 opportunities (13 undergraduate and 29 Masters) are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full-time undergraduate and Masters study. No applications for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship for Honours studies at UCT in 2017 will be considered.
The Mastercard Scholarship will provide scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT.
Eligibility For University of Cape Town Mastercard Scholarship Programme for African Students 2020/2021: To be eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidates must meet the stated criteria:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to study in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
All Scholarship Forum popular searched Scholarships 2020
- 2020/2021 Fully Funded Scholarships
- ONGOING | Maryland Hispanic Gala $2,000 Scholarship 2020
- Warren Buffett Scholarship 2020
- UNICAF Scholarship 2020
- HEC Indigenous Scholarship For 5000 Pakistani Students 2020
- Dora scholarship Estonia- Tallinn University of Technology 2020
- Postgraduate Scholarships 2020/2021 for Nigerian Students To Study In UK
- $400k Mike Rowe Scholarship Program 2020 [UPDATED]
- Redhead Scholarship 2020 | USA Scholarships
University of Cape Town Mastercard Scholarship Programme for African Students 2020/2021 Selection Criteria:
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Applicants must meet the set academic criteria
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at (country): South Africa
Eligible Fields of Study: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
Offered Since: 2012
Value of Scholarship: The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
Number of Awardees: 50 opportunities (24 undergraduate, 10 honours and 16 masters)
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year
How to Apply: In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Candidates are encouraged to make contact with the relevant department that the academic application will be submitted to.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2020