South African Students Chinese-African Scholarship 2021: The government of the People’s Republic of China is offering 42 scholarships for South African citizens currently enrolled for Master’s or Doctoral studies in SA institutions, to spend one semester (February to July) during 2021, at an eligible university in China. Public universities are invited to nominate up to five suitable candidates each to take up this opportunity.
South Africa’s universities are being invited to nominate postgraduate students to participate in this scholarship opportunity.
Application Deadline: 16th October 2020
Type: Masters, PhD
Eligibility For South African Students Chinese-African Scholarship 2021: Applicants should be registered at a South African institution during the scholarship period, in the fields of Agriculture, Chinese Studies, Education, Engineering, Health, Media Studies, and Science. Where possible, it is recommended that applicants be linked to existing partnerships between the nominating South African institution and the proposed Chinese institution. This is, however, not a requirement. A search of eligible Chinese universities and programs may be done online at www.campuschina.org under “Universities and Programmes.”
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be Taken at (Country): China
Number of Awards: 42
Value of Award:
- The Chinese-African Scholarship is valued at between R70,000 and R100 000 per candidate. This amount covers tuition fees, a basic stipend, accommodation, and medical insurance.
- The participating South African university or student will be required to cover a return air ticket, visa, and passport costs, as well as a medical check and local ground transportation costs in China.
- South Africa’s Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) also recommends that selected students have additional funds available to cover expenses not included in the scholarship. “No additional funds for this program are available from the Department,” Dr. Diane Parker, Deputy Director-General: Universities Education in the DHET says.
Duration of Award: February to July 2021 (one semester)
How to Apply For South African Students Chinese-African Scholarship 2021:
- Universities should conduct a selection process based on the strength of their nominees’ study proposals, the benefits of the program to their degree, and their preparedness to study in China. New Generation of Academics (nGAP) lecturers who have reached a suitable point in their doctoral study programs could be considered for nomination.
- The DHET will finalize the South African nomination list, based on nominations from all universities. Those nominated will be required to also complete an online application and undergo a medical examination at their own cost. Further details will be shared following the submission of nominations to the Department. The final decision on the award of the scholarship will be made by the China Scholarship Council.
Institutions should submit one nomination letter that includes:
- Names of up to five candidates, in order of the University’s preference;
- Their current degree program and duration;
- The identified Chinese institution and program;
- The contact person at the nominating university; and
- Details of how the additional expenses will be covered (e.g. by the institution or the scholarship recipient);
Nominations should be sent by 16 October 2020, to the attention of Ms. Joyce Nogabe at [email protected] Further inquiries on the program or the nomination process must be directed at Ms. Nogabe at this email address. She may also be reached on
(012) 312 5643
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Disclaimer: All Content, Logo, and Company names are registered trademarks of their respective holders. The use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.