Mathematics Undergraduate Merit Scholarships at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in US, 2019:
Mathematics Undergraduate Merit Scholarships at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in the US, 2019 is open for International Students. The scholarship allows Undergraduate level programme(s) in the field of Mathematics taught at the University of California. The deadline for the scholarship is November 30, 2019.
The UCLA Department of Mathematics is by far the youngest of the top mathematics departments in the nation. Since awarding its first Ph.D. in 1947, it has grown significantly. As of Fall 2016, it has 49 ladder faculty and 67 assistant adjunct professors, postdoctoral fellows, lecturers, and visiting faculty, encompassing major areas of both pure and applied mathematics. Yet, despite its size and scope, indeed perhaps because of it. The Department has succeeded in creating a unique synergy among its faculty across its research groups. The integration of research interests and the opportunity to train under diverse faculty is a huge draw.
The Department is a center of excellence for cutting-edge research in mathematics, including interfaces with other disciplines. In 2007, the Department received the American Mathematical Society’s (AMS) Award for an Exemplary Program or Achievement in a Mathematics Department.
The award recognizes a mathematics department in North America that has distinguished itself by undertaking an unusual or particularly effective program of value to the mathematics community, internally, or in relation to the rest of society. The Department was the second recipient of the award. AMS praised the Department for “a comprehensive vision for its undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral training programs that involves important interactions with the NSF-funded Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM) at UCLA. Through these robust training programs, UCLA has become one of the largest pipelines to mathematical, careers in the United States.” More recently, the Academic Ranking of World Universities’ (ARWU) summer 2015 ranking put the Department at number eight among all mathematics departments in the world.
Degree Level: Undergraduate
Available Subject: Mathematics
Scholarship Benefits: (Fully Funded) The scholarship covers tuition fees as well as room and board.
Eligible Nationalities: Scholarship is open for international students.
- 12th grader applying to UCLA for admission in Fall of 2018.
- Outstanding academic record and standardized test scores (TOEFL and SAT/ACT).
- Evidence of exceptional background and promise in mathematics. Such evidence may include one of the following:
- placing in the top 25% in the U.S.A. Mathematics Olympiad (USAMO) or comparable (International Mathematics Olympiad level) performance on a similar national competition, or
- advanced (upper-division college level) coursework, or
- original research work in mathematics.
- Applicant must also submit the official UCLA admissions application by its deadline http://www.admission.ucla.edu/infoprospective.htm.
- To apply, please fill out the Merit Scholarship application on Mathprograms.org by November 30, of the current year.