African Students REFOREST Ph.D. Scholarships 2020: Regional Research School in Forest Sciences (REFOREST) is an innovative, interdisciplinary and unique regional Ph.D. degree programme for the training of future generation forest scientists in Africa. The Sida funded programme is hosted at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) and is conducted in partnership with universities in Eastern and Southern Africa and in collaboration with the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU).
REFOREST now opens for applications to 20 Ph.D. position scholarships to their new regional research school based at Sokoine University in Tanzania.
The Ph.D. programme is organized in partnership with Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences – SLU (Sweden), Eduardo Mondlane University (Mozambique), National University of Rwanda (Rwanda), Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (Hawassa University -Ethiopia) and Makerere University (Uganda).
Research Themes: Students will undertake research in one of the following thematic areas:
- Commercial forestry and bio-economy – tree growing as a business, tree improvement and silviculture, forest health and protection, forest products development, marketing, forest products value chains, sustainable forest management;
- Natural forests management – Ecological and socio-economic aspects, biodiversity conservation, bio-energy, climate change, REDD+, Payment for Ecosystem Services, forest land policy and ownership as well as forest-land-water relations; and
- Agroforestry, forest-agriculture interactions and synergies, and conflict management.
All Scholarship Forum popular searched Scholarships 2020
- 2020/2021 Fully Funded Scholarships
- ONGOING | Maryland Hispanic Gala $2,000 Scholarship 2020
- Warren Buffett Scholarship 2020
- UNICAF Scholarship 2020
- HEC Indigenous Scholarship For 5000 Pakistani Students 2020
- Dora scholarship Estonia- Tallinn University of Technology 2020
- Postgraduate Scholarships 2020/2021 for Nigerian Students To Study In UK
- $400k Mike Rowe Scholarship Program 2020 [UPDATED]
- Redhead Scholarship 2020 | USA Scholarships
Cross-cutting areas for all the themes include gender, policy, livelihoods, forest governance, forest sector modelling, environmental and economic sustainability. Particular attention is placed on areas requiring more interdisciplinary research approaches, e.g. climate-forest issues, land-use conflicts, market system analyses, poverty alleviation potentials of various forest/tree products and services, economic/social/ecological aspects of forestry, food and nutrition security.
African Students REFOREST Ph.D. Scholarships 2020 Eligibility: Eligible candidates are from Eastern and Southern Africa. In the year 2020-2024 citizens of Ethiopia, Mozambique, Rwanda Tanzania and Uganda will be prioritized for sponsorships, female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be admitted and registered at the Sokoine University of Agriculture. The Programme comprises one year of course work and three years of research and thesis writing. Students are encouraged to carry out Ph.D. research in their home countries.
Eligible Countries: Countries in Eastern and Southern Africa
To be Taken at (Country): Sokoine University in Tanzania
Number of Awards: 20
Value of Award: Successful scholarship candidates will apply for Ph.D. admission at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
Duration of Award:
- The sponsorship covers a maximum of four years and will commence in October 2020.
- The Programme comprises one year of course work and three years of research and thesis writing.
How to Apply For African Students REFOREST Ph.D. Scholarships 2020: Submit a letter indicating the theme of interest (Theme 1, 2 or 3 above), and attach the following: (i) research concept note of maximum 2,000 words (covering introduction, knowledge gap(s), research objectives, research methodology and expected outcomes) (ii)endorsed copies of certificates and academic transcripts (iii) your Curriculum Vitae and (iv) names of two academic referees. Send your application electronically to [email protected].
The deadline for application is 2nd July 2020 at 15.30 East Africa Time (EAT).
For further clarification, contact Programme Coordinator at E-mail: [email protected]. Short-listed candidates will be notified by 1st August 2020, and where applicable they will be required to improve their concept note. Subsequently, they will all be required to present themselves for an interview session conducted from 17th to 21st of August, 2020 at their respective partner universities.