2020 Leiden University Excellence Scholarship: Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is one of Europe’s leading international research universities. The motto of the University is ‘Praesidium Libertatis’ – Bastion of Freedom. It has seven faculties in the sciences, arts and social sciences spread over locations in Leiden and The Hague. The University has over 6,700 staff members and 28,130 students.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship invites applications from international students to pursue a masters degree at Leiden University Netherlands. These scholarships are fully funded and awarded to bright students. The number and type of award of the scholarship depend on the budget available for each Faculty department.
All Masters programs in the following Faculties:
Humanities, Archaeology, Medicine/LUMC, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Governance and Global Affairs, Science, Interfacultair Centrum Voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
2020 Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LexS) Program Period:
- The maximum study period for a 1-year program is 12 months.
- The maximum study period for a 2-year program is 24 months.
All Scholarship Forum popular searched Scholarships 2019
- 2019/2020 Fully Funded Scholarships
- ONGOING | Maryland Hispanic Gala $2,000 Scholarship 2019
- Warren Buffett Scholarship 2019
- UNICAF Scholarship 2019
- HEC Indigenous Scholarship For 5000 Pakistani Students 2019
- Dora scholarship Estonia- Tallinn University of Technology 2019
- NLNG Postgraduate Scholarships 2019/2020 for Nigerian Students To Study In UK
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LexS) 2020 provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
To qualify for a Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LexS) 2020, candidates must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: Non-EU/EEA international students
- In prior academic education, the student must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the program for which the student wishes to enroll. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant program followed abroad.
- Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education, this being relevant to the Master’s program for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is among the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study program. Note: proof of ranking is not required – this information is pure to indicate the level of competitiveness.
- The student will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans “Studiefinanciering”. For more information please refer to www.duo.nl. This does not apply to the Advanced Masters, application for the LExS for this program is open to all nationalities.
- Continuation of the LExS is not guaranteed when a student changes his or her degree program during the study program. Requests will be reviewed case by case and the final decision will be taken by the Faculty Selection Committee(s). In case the change is before the student has registered for the study program, the LExS scholarship will be revoked and the student will have to re-apply for the scholarship.
- The LExS is only valid for the period the student is registered at Leiden University as a full-time student within the time frame of the study program.
- A LExS granted for the academic year as specified in the decision letter cannot be transferred to another academic year or to a next intake within the same academic year. In case a student has been awarded a LExS for the September (or February) intake and decides to postpone his/her participation in the study program, the LExS will be revoked. Requests will be reviewed case by case and the final decision will be taken by the Faculty Selection Committee(s).
- The student is not permitted to receive any additional full scholarship for the same program, other than in the case of partial scholarships, where this has to be confirmed in writing in advance. The student should notify the Leiden University if another full scholarship such as the Netherlands Fellowship Program, Jean Monnet, etc. has been awarded and which scholarship has been accepted.
- For a program lasting more than one year, the student is required to obtain a minimum of 60 ECTS in the first year of study in order to retain the right to LExS for the following academic year. In cases where there is any uncertainty as to the number of ECTS standards for satisfactory progress and the time and manner in which progress will be measured will be set by the Leiden University Selection Committee.
- A student is allowed to submit several applications for scholarships at one time. However, it is not possible to combine scholarships which are provided or sponsored by Leiden University. This concerns the following scholarship programs: Orange Tulip – China and CEU Praesidium Libertatis. Also, it is not possible to combine the LExS with scholarships which are provided on a bilateral agreement with educational institutions, or any other scholarship which might be provided or sponsored by Leiden University in the near future
- The student must comply with Dutch visa regulations.
- The LExS will not be awarded to students who are admitted to a second Master program at Leiden University with the exception of students applying for a Master program for which a specified previous Master program or work experience is mandatory.
- Leiden University should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible “Studiefinanciering” support, throughout the academic year.
- If the student terminates the study prematurely, any requests for reimbursement of tuition fees will be made to Leiden University and analogs to the “Regeling inschrijving, college- en examengeld” for the applicable academic year. The student should submit the de-registration form to Leiden University. If applicable, the student will subsequently receive a reimbursement of the tuition fee less the
scholarship on a pro-rata basis.
- During the study at Leiden University, the student will take an active part in activities to promote the LExS.
- The student has to accept the granted LExS scholarship by filling out the ‘Acceptance Form LExS’.
How to Apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship?
Please visit official website link given at the end. However, here are important instructions to avail this Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s program at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study program and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.